Catch up on the latest advancement news worldwide, the latest CASE news, trending discussions on CASE communities and content shared by member institutions. Have something to share? Add it in the comments.
Enrollment in online courses on the rise but their importance to chief academic officers wanes—The number of students taking online courses grew nearly 4 percent in 2014, but university leaders question these courses’ value.
Why school location matters—New research finds that first-generation and low-income college students are more likely to want to attend schools close to home, but their options can be limited.
UK: Students say word of mouth recommendations, video most effective—International students say recommendations from family and friends are the biggest influences for choosing where to study.
Thai universities gear up for collaboration with the west—Links between Thailand and overseas universities have grown in recent years.
Giving up 1.6 percent, online donations still in single digits—According to Blackbaud’s 2015 Giving Report, reveals that mobile giving’s trajectory is moving more rapidly than online giving overall.
- This month, institutions around the world are celebrating Student Engagement and Philanthropy Month. See photos of their activities on Facebook and the #studentphilanthropy hashtag.
- Try using these three words to guarantee feedback in meetings, in Advancement Weekly (login required).
- Also in Advancement Weekly: what really motivates employees and the ingredients for an innovative idea.
- Review the recap from our latest Twitter chat on educating and empowering students on social media.
- Upcoming Deadlines:
- Monday, Feb. 15: Extended deadline to complete CASE’s North American compensation survey.
- Sunday, Feb. 14: The call for proposals for the Conference for Community College Advancement has been extended through this weekend, due Sunday.
- Friday, Feb. 19: Deadline to participate in CASE’s social media survey, with chance to win free registration to our Social Media and Community Conference.
Trending on CASE Communities
- Alumni weekend video idea
- Sharing donor addresses for memorial gifts
- Alumni swag
- LGBT engagement
- Organization of community college foundation
- Examples of independent school annual fund videos
What CASE Members Are Sharing
Faculty members from Kings College London tackle heartbreak in this podcast.
The College of William & Mary is collecting #wmlovestory tales for Valentine’s Day.
Vocal Valentines are lifting students’ spirits at Augustana College of Illinois.
Couples at Virginia Commonwealth University played the Not Necessarily Newlywed Game.
Academy of the Holy Names welcomes its Class of 2020 with this One Direction song rewrite.
Still trying to understand new developments with gravitational waves? This helpful University of Birmingham video explains it all.