Read on for this week’s advancement news highlights, the latest CASE news, trending discussions on CASE communities and content shared by member institutions. Have something to share? Add it in the comments.
Study: More than a third of college students transferred—Many of these transfers were students moving from community colleges to four-year universities.
How one student used Twitter to figure out which college was right for her—Here’s what happened when a prospective student tweeted at two colleges to ask why she should enroll.
Old or young, there’s no telling how they’ll respond—Nonprofits are increasingly turning to fun, non-traditional online tactics (such as memes) to engage supporters.
Technical education, STEM and embracing on-the-job learning—Experts grapple with how community colleges can smooth career pathways for students.
CASE News and Resources
- What’s the true definition of advancement? In Inside Higher Ed, CASE President Sue Cunningham explores how—and why it’s so important—to comprehensively define it.
- The 2015 CASE Summit for Leaders in Advancement kicks off on July 12 in Chicago, Illinois. Get a taste of Summit with these 10 videos from speakers and hear what’s on tap in this video from chair Jim Husson and advisory team member Diane McGillivray.
- Handle a sudden resignation with tactics in the latest Advancement Weekly.
- Also in Advancement Weekly: use clear communication to manage the change process—but avoid these tired clichés.
- Explore the inaugural issue of CASE’s Diversity News.
- Looking for ideas to engage young alumni? Turn to this new resource and sample collection on young alumni for inspiration.
- On the CASE blog: here’s how institutions responded to the SCOTUS marriage equality ruling, and how to use Twitter website cards to boost posts’ reach
- Also on the blog: takeaways from Carroll University’s successful alumni service program, plus ideas to define an institution’s market niche.
Trending on CASE Communities
- The future of online directories
- Website and social media spotlights
- Singular versus plural verbs for campus entities
- Special events to support scholarships
What CASE Members Are Sharing
An adorable, aspiring University of Queensland student stars in this gratitude video.
Students across the country, including these ones from Fairfield University, are sharing school pride for the Forbes #mytopcollege contest.
View this post on Instagram
#Repost from @nicoleheller12: "@fairfieldu is #mytopcollege because the students are constantly looking for ways to give back and welcome new students to our home." ☺️ Why is Fairfield U your #MyTopCollege? Let us know on Instagram or Twitter by tagging @FairfieldU & using #MyTopCollege.
The University of Michigan created graphics like this to promote the July edition of its monthly Twitter chat, #umichchat.
Science is heating up this summer at Phillips Exeter Academy. It has a new maker lab, and two of its seniors are conducting cancer research with Stanford University researchers (and blogging about it).
Arizona State’s mascot Sparky has been doing a little traveling this summer.